Monday, June 21, 2010

Trekking - A Trekkie Comes of Age

In my 54th year, in the year of the tiger, (2010) a madness has come upon me. There is no way else to explain this. I want to climb hills, mountains. Go trekking. Into the wilds. Yeah, where the bugs, snakes and tigers roam. Maybe i should do what other 54-year olds do. Become a fat cat. After going up Gunung Datuk, i have found that i am indeed a fat cat. Gunung Datuk took the "hisab" out of me. After reaching the base camp, all i could do was put one foot in front of the other and walk towards the restaurant. Some time later, Sivan pointed out that i looked exhausted and that i was slurring in my speech.

So why do i do it? Actually, i wanted to trek all my life and to introduce it to my children. But there were too many "buts" and this dream assumed a low priority in my list. After my trip to Perth, i decided to dust off the cobwebs from my dream and breathe some new life into it. I was really impressed by the way the mat-sallehs exercise and adopt a healthy lifestyle, from the joggers to the backpackers.

So now i have hooked up with Sivan, who is an experienced trekker. And got the children introduced to trekking. Let's see how this plays out.

3 comments:

Kat said...

Do you remember our trek up that hill in Taman Negara? Like you I too was always interested in trekking. WE did a lot of that when we were in the Textbooks Division, especially when we went to Fraser's Hill.
Happy trekking!

akbar khan haneefa said...

Yes I remember. Aeons and aeons ago. When we were young. The whole class of some 30 undergraduates. Good memories.

akbar khan haneefa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.