Monday, November 17, 2008

Project 2 - My Daughter's Tadika - Prelude




I remember my father's entrepreneurial spirit. He was a building contractor. He made a lot of money in his lifetime and he lost a lot of money too. We went thru the financial ups and downs. So much so, i guess all his children were initially afraid to venture into business. At some time or other, most of my siblings ventured into some business or other. But you can't really venture into business unless you are in it full time. We found that out the hard way. We lost a lot of money for that lesson. Many years ago, when i had failed my HSC exam for the second time ( i was busy trying to run a greeting card business while studying) , my father pulled me aside and said, "follow me, i will teach you the building business". But i was stubborn and refused his offer because i felt i could not or should not run from a defeat. I sat for and passed the HSC exam the following year because i really worked on it. But sometimes i wonder, if i had taken my father's advice, would my life have been different? for the better or worse?

Anyway, sometime in 2000, after reading "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" by Robert Kiyosaki, i became convinced that i had been going down a path that will not and cannot make me rich (legally). I was moving from job to job, and each one was paying higher than the last but then, I saw for the first time how deluded and complacent we had become in our middle-class thinking. I was carrying bigger and bigger buckets thinking i was doing better. My life was going down the path of a highly paid slave. I had forgotten to dream. So i started with a dream i had for most of my life -- of runing a kindergarten. My first-born, Farah, has the profile of being a entreprenuer so I am opening up the path for her. It will now depend on her to make a go of this business. So far, it looks good.

ps. the picture above of nemo is a mural in the kindergarten

1 comment:

mariam said...

Please email mariam@marikarpress.com